Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 9 (5/26) Jose Burger in Paradise

The big draw for today was the Paradise Cafe. Just 20 miles down the trail, it was quite the motivation to keep moving throughout the day. Out of camp by 7, and eight miles down by 10:00. Pretty good start, but that was mostly downhill. Hit a nice water cache at mile 10 which helped revive my spieits for the coming climb. Man, that was a rough one. You could see the highway.for the last few miles, building the suspense. When I finally hit the road, it was still a mile walk to the cafe, but oh, so worth it.

Cold Coke and water in unlimited portions. I must've downed at least four glasses of each. And then there was the burger. Lettuce, tomato, onion, guacamole, jalapenos, cheese, and of course a delicious patty. Soooo goooood! I washed it downwith a cup of ice cream, and then was on my way.

I ran into Adam and Noah on my way back, and heard the craziest story from them. They had arrived at Herrara's shortly after I left, and things had escalated a bit. They did get a steak dinner out of the mix, but long story short, there was a physical altercation between housekeepers, and police were involved. Crazy stories out of that one, and I'm sure it will generate a trail name for each of them. I'm just glad I left when I did... Just goes to show that even our here you can't escape the insanity of the real world.

I tacked on a few more miles in the evening, and after counting the two mile round trip to Paradise, I finished my first marathon!

Daily mileage: 24.2 (26.2)
Trip mileage: 155.5


No comments:

Post a Comment