Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 68 (7/24) Downhill?!


This morning we took a cursory glance at the elevation profile, and it appeared to be mainly downhill to Red's Meadow. This was reinforced by running into several southbound JMTers who said they had done nothing but climb out of Red's, and we were greatly encouraged by these statements. Unfortunately only a few mikes into the day I stepped wrong off a rock and turned my ankle pretty badly. I calmed down pretty quick, but it was equally quick at tightening up, so I was significantly slowed by this minor injury.

As I limped along we ran into LowTech, who I've also seen in both Kennedy Meadows and VVR. This was the first time we'd hiked together, so it was near to hear some of her stories. Turns out her son is really into trains, and it was near to hear all the cool stuff he does at the local rail museum. We hiked together until a stream crossing where she took a break while we carried on. Jeanie and I experienced a quick mood change in the next few miles as we climbed several hundred feet rapidly, then slowly continued to gain elevation. Those JMT hikers had misled us! Normally we would think nothing of this, but when your mind is set on downhill, any climb is too much. Though I cursed at them, I doubt the JMTers even realized their mistake. Its a perspective thing. You remember the hard climb, but easily forget the downhill that you cruised through.

Later in the afternoon when we finally started the last descent, we ran into small groups who were all part of a trail crew. Most were taking down a tree over the trail, but got hung up when the sapling it was resting on sprung up after the first cut (using a 6' bow saw!). Another was in camp already, and he introduced himself as SirMixALot, a name I've seen in online PCT forums. It was  neat to put a face to a name, and we chatted for a good 15 minutes. Finally we parted ways so Jeanie and I could catch dinner before it closed.

Before we arrived we came through am old burn area which was beautiful in its own right due to the character of the charred and broken trees that still stood. Turns out this was a massive blaze in 1992, and this section of the Rainbow Fire was so intense it has taken decades to recover... At Red's we discovered that they also run a pack station and we saw two huge teams of mules plus a bunch of horses. The diner was also nice and I devoured a burger and rootbeer float. After that Jeanie called to hear about Mike's MRI and I chatted with Crusty Foot  and Banshee, two repeat JMT hikers out at it again. After awhile we made our way to the campsite where I chatted further before begging forgiveness and retiring to my tent for sleep that was for the first time on trail punctuated by the sound of motors or families hanging out around a fire until the wee hours of the morning.

Miles Today: 16
Trip Mileage: 907

Photo: Pack mules at Red's Meadow

No comments:

Post a Comment